Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Remnant: Holding the primacy of Scripture

This morning, I started a course called "Bible Overview". It's a 10-week course that is part the Moore College external studies Certificate in Theology. Over the course of the next few weeks, I will blog more about it, but for now, I want to say that my initial impression of it is one of great joy and hope.

Why? Not because God has granted me the opportunity to do it, but because there is something I saw today that has raised my spirit regarding the modern church and the lamentable state it has fallen in.

I say young people - university youth, some from high school, eager to learn, study and appreciate God's Word. For a while, others have told me that Bible study is boring, the youth will never take to it,that they need experential, fun filled activities, relevance etc etc. Well, so much for that load of compost.

These were young people who were realising that it wasn't about them or their felt needs. It was about God. And it was about reverence for his revelation that is found in Holy Scripture. It also warms my heart (there ya go, a Calvinist using an Arminian phrase! :-) )to see that these Caleb and Joshua's are still around. They are the remnant

In every dark period where the church has been assailed, ripped apart and generally discredited; a remnant always remains. They are true to God, his sovereignity and sense of his true character. They remain faithful to his Word, relying on his grace and knowing that they are justified by faith alone in Christ alone.

This is a beautiful thing.

My prayer is that through the beauty of Sola Scriptura (solely by scripture), more young people will see the Bible as the primary means of understanding who God is, his past, present and to be revealed will, and his plan of redemption in Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice on the cross.

SDG

No comments: