Saturday, August 23, 2008

Megachurch? Nyet! Nyet!

It's not a secret among those who know me that I am not really a fan of large churches. The more I hear that your church is so big that it has it's own coffee chain or that it needs WiMax instead of Wifi due to it's size; I start furrowing my eyebrows. Now, you might say I'm prejudice. You're damn right about that.I like the little mom and pop shops in quaint villages that I grew up with, in Australia. I hate Mid-Valley Megamall. I like the slow food movement, and have boycotted Mickie D's quite successfully for close to a year. I like small churches where I don't have to worry if I've pissed off the 'Christian' security guy in black. Yes, I'm prejudiced.But I will say something about large churches: I like your large parking spaces. Small chruches are in the suburbs and parking is a nightmare at times :-)If I feel the need to worship in a large setting, I'll sign up for a rally, concert or an event like Passion; which I fully support..But that doesn't happen very much. And honestly, I used to be part of a large church in Damansara and it didn't do anything much for me. In the midst of that humongous crowd; there was this strange sensation that everyone was as disconnected with each other, as though there were all these electrons zipping around each other but none of them colliding or colluding. Honestly, it felt emptyI think the model should have these electrons circling a nucleus; and that nucleus is God: the centre of everything we do or zip aroundSo, while I appreciate the fact that large churches have large bands and the music sounds better because they have the resources and the talent pool, I can't help wondering if a bit of that magic (if I may use that word in a Christian context) is missing..Sometimes I wonder, that if we just decided that it was all about God first. And my brother and sister next,  and me last. That those wrong notes played, or luke warm coffee after service didn't matter a darn; we would be closer to the Kingdom of God....and that mom and pop shop which used to serve that great vanilla sponge cake.

No comments: